Monday, March 1, 2010

New Music --- METAL!

I haven't kept up with music like I used to since I got out of school -- the Rave thing was dieing out, Industrial was stuck in a rut, and NuMetal sucked, so for a while there I just kept listening to the same old CDs. I eventually got bored with them and music listening kind of petered out over all, aside from my habit of picking up a new Goth band at every big convention I go to (I always did manage to keep this up, which is a Good Thing.) Well, a few (ok, several) years later and I realized I wasn't listening to much of shit. It was time for some new tunes.

So I opened up a thread or two on a few forums I'm on (like this thread) and the results have been great. Turns out in the last few years Rave is gone but a lot of folks still like to dance all night and Goth has made a big come back. Industrial is still (mostly) stuck on the ol' 4-4 beat but there's some nice metal/industrial cross over stuff, especially in Europe. And (I think Metalocalypse for this) metal has made a full-on fucking come-back, with gimicks: chick singers, Folk metal, and epic LARP soundtracks abound. Lots of chaff among the wheat, but its always like that. I found a few things I really, really like so I've decided to start cross-posting some of this action here. That's right, the workshop is gonna start recommending music!

First, best band name ever:
Cock And Ball Torture - Anal Sex Terror. God, they sound like shit.

Now, a few bands I found because they got used in movie trailers:
The Used - The Bird and The Worm which was used in the trailer for Clash of the Titans
Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home, appearing on the "9" trailer.

Old Stuff:
Maybe worth including, some links to heavy Death Metal stuff I enjoyed so much in high school:
Strapping Young Lad
Napalm Death (who the hell didn't listen to Napalm Death?)
Morbid Angel (I wore this out so hard, in highschool I called my Space Marines the Morbid Angels)
Deicide (if you play it backwards, you get a communion wafer)
Sepultura (when this came on Head Bangers Ball, me and my buddy were instantly transformed into Beavis and Butthead on the couch, and Metallica was forever relegated to the "not that heavy" slot.) another song.

So, I think Metalocalypse sort of got me back into new music. They showed me that, with a sense of humor, I could enjoy metal again. And I love them for it.
Go Into the Water
Bloodlines
Dethharmonic (featuring Emilie Autumn, of whome we'll speak later.)
Laser Cannon Deth Sentence

I just thought of this, but how fuckin' cool would it be for Deathklok to make a guest appearance on the Venture Brothers?

CHICK METAL
I like a good gimick, especially when it comes to metal. You know, gimmicks like a cartoon show, female vocalists, and vikings. Now, when I say "metal with a chick singing," I'm NOT talking about Evanescence. Even if they hadn't lost me on the christian lyrics, their whole sound was just too produced, too pretty, not brutal, and basically they ain't metal. At all. Lacuna Coil is good, but not really metal, either. Here are some bands, playing actual metal, with some brutal bitch belting it out:

The Agonist: modern (slightly produced) death metal with a girl up front, alternately singing and growling. Young America at its finest.
Business Suits and Combat Boots
Thank You Pain
Their Eulogies Sang Me to Sleep

SIRENIA is a good bit cheesier/more produced but its not too bad (more goth than metal)
The Path To Decay
Save Me From Myself
Meridian

UNSUN is also pretty produced and a bit "Hot Topic," but they might go somewhere:
Whispers

ARCH ENEMY is like Iron Maiden, but not lame. And this chick is brutal: if you didn't see her you might not guess it was a woman, and she's NOT just eye candy out front. Their sound is much more an old 80s speed metal, not a bunch of over-processed synth stuff. This is actually what I'm listening to while I post all this.
My Apocalypse
Nemesis
We Will Rise
Ravenous
Enemy Within


Austrian Death Machine
No chicks here, but I'm gonna link to it anyway. Most band have a gimmick, a shtick if you will. But the prize for most-nerd-rage-inducing gimmick just might go to the band whose inspiration comes entirely from Schwarzenegger action movies. How can you go wrong with titles like, "Come with Me if You Want to Live," "If it Bleeds We Can Kill It," "I am a Cybernetic Organism," and, "Get to the Choppa?"
That's all I'm going to post just at the moment, but there will be more: I've still gotta tell y'all about the new Industrial and Folk Metal acts I've dug up.

Oh, and I'm still working on those Space Hulk figures....

1 comment:

Elcompazzer said...

Rock N' Roll ..Heavy metal..
next METAL! :)