Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Good by, grandpa.

Well, crap.

My grandfather died night before last. I found out last night.

He'd been sick for a long time, so I'm not really "sad," about it in the simplest sense of the word. Honestly, I'd have been far more upset of someone was taking a diabetic, blind, deaf, 83 year old with a broken hip and forcing kidney dialysis on him. He had the option, and opted out. My own father had a chance to talk to him before the end, so at least he got out some of his deamons. So did all grandpa's other kids. Then they just turned off the machines and let him slip painlessly into a coma.

Adios, grandpa. Wish I'd known you better.

1 comment:

Oldfool said...

People expect old men to die,
They do not really mourn old men.
Old men are different. People look
At them with eyes that wonder when...
People watch with unshocked eyes...
But the old men know when an old man dies.
Ogden Nash
From an old man. RIP